What is LAN?How local area network works.All detail of LAN.
- LAN Definition
- LAN Working
- Advantages of LAN
- Disadvantages of LAN
There are many types of networks.One of them is LAN. It normally connects the computers and other devices within one office, building, and a group of nearby buildings. A local area network (LAN) is a group of computers and associate devices that share a common communications line or wireless link to a server.
A LAN computer connects to a server within a distinct geographic area such as an office or a commercial establishment. Computers and other mobile devices use a LAN connection to share resources such as a printer or network storage.
Typically, a suite of application programs can be kept on the LAN server. Users who need an application frequently can download it once and then run it from their local device. Users can order printing and other services as need through applications run on the LAN server.
A user can share files with other stores on the LAN server. Read and write access is maintained by a network administrator. A LAN server may also be used as a web server if safeguards are taken to secure internal applications and data from outside access.
In some situations, a wireless LAN, or Wi-Fi, may be preferable to a wired LAN connection because of its flexibility and cost. Companies are assessing LANs as primary means of connectivity as the number of smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices proliferate.
Advantages of Local Area Network (LAN):
Following are some advantages of Local Area Network:
Many hardware resources like printers, modems, and hard-disks can share on local area networks. It will reduce the cost of hardware products. For example, A business organization using a LAN for an office can use a single network printer for the employees of that office.
Software Applications Sharing:
Only one copy of the software can use all over the network. It helps to purchase more and more copies of software. It will reduce the purchasing cost of the software. If you have no network, you have to purchase software for all computers or devices.
Easy and Cheap Communication:
You can send a message all over the computers in less time. For example: If you send a message separately it takes time, but on network, you can send a message with a single attempt.
In network, data is saved on the server computer’s hard disk. It helps to access data very easily from the server. Users can get data easily. If the user types user id and password he/she can access data at any place.
LAN also provides data security. As centralized, data can easily manage. It is easy to manage data security easily.
Local Area Network provides the sharing of a single internet connection among all other LAN users. In Net Cafes, many users access from the single internet connection. In this way we save money.
Disadvantages of Local Area Network (LAN):
Following are some disadvantages of Local Area Network:
High Setup Cost:
- LAN setup a lot of costs required.
- The initial setup costs of installing Local Area Networks are very high.
- It may require server computer, Mini Computer, Network LAN cards, Network Routers, HUBS or Switches,
- Networking Cables and connectors etc.
- Additionally, a Network technician will be required for setting up a new network in an organization.
- In large organization network administrator also require for solving any problems.
- The LAN administrator can check the personal data files of every LAN user.
- He can check internet history.
- He can also use the computer history of the LAN users.
Data Security Threat:
- Unauthorized users can access important data of an organization.
- LAN Administer is responsible for the security of the whole data resource in an organization.
- LAN administrator will implement a fully functional security policy for database safety.
LAN Maintenance Job:
Local Area Network requires a LAN Administrator. Any problem occurs can inform by the administrator and resolve at once. A LAN Administrator is required for the full-time job.
Limitation of the area:
Local Area Network covers a small area like one office, one building or a group of near by buildings.