What is LCD? Advantages and Disadvantages of LCD.
What is LCD?
Advantages and Disadvantages of LCD.
What is LCD?
LCD stands for liquid crystal display. It is a combination of two states. These are solid and liquid. LCD uses a liquid crystal and produces visible images. LCD is a super-thin technology display screen. These are used in cell phones, laptop computer screens, TVs, and portable video games.
LCD is a flat panel display technology. The liquid crystals are made of complex molecules. They change their state from solid to liquid. This change depends on the temperature to which they are exposed. In the liquid state, the molecules move around and form a line in a specific direction.
It allows them to reflect light. Crystals are arranged in a matrix with a group of three colors. The colors of these three crystals are red, green, and blue. These crystals form segments which are called pixels. The group of pixels can form numbers, letters or any other shapes arranged in columns and rows.
Advantages of LCD:
- LCD consumes less amount of power.
- LCD is of low cost.
- LCD provides excellent contrast.
- LCD is thinner and lighter.
- It produces very bright images.
- It is energy efficient.
- It takes up about 40% less desk space.
- It’s a completely flat screen.
- It gives good color reproduction.
- It gives perfect sharpness at the native resolution.
Disadvantages of LCD:
- The resolution is fixed.
- contrast ratios are poor.
- Producing deep black is very difficult.
- Pixels are dead
- color depth is fixed.
- angle viewing
- The LCD display has slow response times.
- LCD cost is considerably at a high price.
- The native resolution cannot be changed.
- viewing angles affect the brightness.
Read more about: